Monday, May 21, 2012

THE MOVE IS COMPLETE ! ! !

Before I get started on this story, allow me to go back in time a bit to get you caught up on this move that I am talking about:  Shortly after coming to Butte, I bought an old abandoned church building across the street from the house.  I had a complete array of woodworking tools and equipment, but no place to set up shop.  This building had been sitting vacant for many years and it needed to have some life back in it so the logical thing to do was to set it up for my shop.  Now I was obligated to keep the grass cut so it wouldn't be an eyesore from across the street! 


After buying the church, I started moving my tools in and setting up shop.  It was an ideal situation because the wide open floor space allowed me to have room for all my tools as well as a large working area to assemble projects.  The photo below is when I was just starting to set up my tools. 

I made a lot of sawdust in that shop and I was able to always go over there anytime I wanted some woodworking therapy or to make a new project.  As we woodworkers say, "I've got sawdust in my veins".



Now we can fast forward to this month, May 2012:  I haven't been using the shop for several years now and I have kind of lost interest in making sawdust.  Funny how values and interests change over the years,  especially when other things in one's life change as we go down the path that God has laid out for us.  I'm not saying that I will never get into a woodworking shop again.  I dearly love the hobby and at some point down the road I might just start up again, I just don't know when it will happen.

But since I wasn't using the building and it was becoming somewhat of a liability for me, I decided to sell.  Therein lies the move that I am talking about.  A new family in town bought it and they plan to fix it up to live in.  Just that was encouragement enough for me to sell the building and move my shop out.


 Here they are cleaning out the old stuff so they can start work on their new home.  They have quite a task in front of them but they are ambitious and I have no doubt that they will do a fine job.  I am looking forward to having some more neighbours too!


 The church is empty, the new owners are ready to start their project, and I have completed my move.


 I have moved all my tools across the street into a small shed in my backyard.  How long will my tools stay in the shed?  Will I decide to sell them too to go along with my quest to simplify and downsize?  Only time will tell and only God's plan worked out in my life will be the deciding factor.  It was quite a move and I don't really care to go through something like that again soon!!  


1 comment:

  1. I would TOTALLY want to fix it up and live in it!

    Kathy L. Mulkey

    (I always have to comment as "anonymous" because my Google acct. is screwed up.)

    ReplyDelete