Sunday, May 13, 2012

LOVE AT A DISTANCE

I'm watching my grandchildren grow up from a distance.

Oh sure, I do make a trip or two often enough out to the west coast to visit my family there.  And they too make an occasional trip up my way for a visit.  Technology helps too.  Phone calls, e-mails, computer video conferencing, Facebook, and even the occasional letter through the good ol' US post office.  All these things work fine, that is when we take the time to use them.  I'm wondering though, even if I lived across town instead of across country, would I be able to visit more often?  I know that I would be able to attend school and sporting functions on  a regular basis.  I know this because recently I spent three months with my family out there and I did just that.  But they have their own lives too and, like most young families these days, have so many activities in their own right.

We live in an age where we are all so busy.  May I digress and talk about the "good ol' days"?  The days when we spent the evenings (the whole family) outside the house while the children played and the neighbours visited.  And the days when we went for "Sunday afternoon drives" and stopped along the way to visit friends or stopped somewhere to open the picnic basket?  The days when we weren't always on the go, going forth and back, to this and that?  Yes, life was slower (I do remember).  Why, when I was a kid.................

These are just some thoughts that go through my head as I ponder when I will be able to get together with them again.  Lord willing, that day will be soon as they make their plans for vacations and summer travels this year.

But watching my grandchildren grow up from a distance has been made most fun by watching them in my daughter's blog.  There their lives and activities are chronicled permanently where I am able to go back time and time again to re-live their adventures.  Right now I am watching my daughter as she starts the awesome task and adventure of home schooling her youngest and next year the other two join in with Mom as their teacher.  Now as my oldest grandson is graduating from grade eight, I hope to live through that experience as well through their blog.

Sure, it's a little disconcerting to see them grow up at a distance but I do confess that it was my choice to move away from the hustle and bustle of the west coast.  I also believe that God directs all the paths of His people and that He has me here for a reason.  All we can do is pray that God will continue to reveal to us his perfect will for our lives.  I certainly am looking forward to what God has in store for me as much as I am looking forward to seeing my family again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment