Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What a Friend.....

Isn't it a great thing to have a friend? You know, the kind of person you can sit down with and talk to. One who listens and talks back to you too? (That's called a conversation, by the way.) A good friend is one to whom we can express all our deep and innermost concerns and in return is not judgmental of us. A true friend is one whom we can call up anytime of the day or night and unload on them. A true friend is also one who can call and unload on us as well. And we can offer any advice....or just listen if that's what is needed. See, in order to have a friend you need to be a friend. True friends understand each other and have like interests.



I was challenged recently to count how many friends I have. As I started counting my acquaintances and people I talk to on a daily basis, I surprised myself as to how many actually met the above criteria. There are many, many more definitions of a “true friend” but it was a very worthwhile exercise for me to contemplate who were really my friends. I am now motivated to be more of a friend to all my friends.


I have such a friend that I can take my cares and concerns to and still listens to me. Yes, I need to listen more too in order to fulfill the true meaning of a friend....You know, carry on that conversation?  The book my friend has written has in it, all I need to know.   My friend has lots to teach me about maintaining the friendships that I do have also. Thank you Lord Jesus for being my friend.



What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

No comments:

Post a Comment